Old July 29th 06, 08:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
Rod Speed

Default Typical mains power for mid-range PC?

kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jon D wrote

If I have a hard drive which has a protective sheet of metal
on one side and the circuit board on the other side then
which of these two side should get the most cooling?

Varys with the drive design. The only real way to answer that
question is to try it both ways and monitor the drive SMART temp.

NO, it does not vary per drive design,

Fraid it does. Most obviously with the older Barras which
have a metal plate and rubber mat over the logic card etc.

or rather, all drive designs are putting the board
on the bottom, and a thin cover on the top,

Plenty of top covers arent thin.

thus need more cooling on the bottom
circuit board than (if any on) the top cover.

Not a ****ing clue, as always. Plenty of drives still get
rid of quite a bit of heat thru the metal body of the drive.

In the majority of drives, the top cover is barely (if at all)
even joined to the rest with a reasonably conductive junction,

Not a ****ing clue, as always.

instead they typically have a silicone
or some other type of flexible gasket.

Separate matter entirely.

They may feel warm but this is more a function of heat
rising because it wasn't removed more immediately from
the hot areas instead of left to heat up surrounding areas.

Have fun explaining how come that cover STILL gets
warm even when the drive is mounted upside down.

I'm sure you'll argue Rod, but you're quite wrong in general

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

and offhand I don't recall any hard drive EVER MADE that
needed as much, let alone more cooling on the top metal.

Have fun explaining those early Barras, child.

In other words, a drive can be completely cooled with airflow
over the bottom only. It cannot with airflow only over the top.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.