Old July 28th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
Jon D

Default Typical mains power for mid-range PC?

On 22 Jul 2006, Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

Stick 2x 10,000rpm HD against one another in a drive cage.
Provide sufficient cooling for 2x 8-17W drives.

I will provide the data recovery firm name to use...

o Motor-IC overheats from lack of linear-feet-per-min airflow
o Motor-IC dumps heat into surroundings, motor/spindle heat
o Motor-spindle dumps heat into FDB accelerating aging
o FDB aging causes higher current draw (startup & continuous)
---- S.M.A.R.T. data measures startup Ima &/or startup Tsecs
o Higher current draw heats motor/spindle & Motor-IC
---- Reinforcing System Loop of increasing thermal dissipation

The above reminds me of hard drive hot spots because the Motor-IC
gets referred to a few times.

My question is simpler:

If I have a hard drive which has a protective sheet of metal on one
side and the circuit board on the other side then which of these two
side should get the most cooling?