Old June 16th 19, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Keep Getting Network 2

I'm running an Asus X299-A system with its Intel Network Adapter. I'm
running Win10 64-bit and I've updated the LAN driver to the latest I can
find, v22.9.16.0. My device shown in Device Manager is called Intel(R)
Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V. I've checked the Intel forums and
discovered lots of people are seeing that (2) in the name and can't
figure out why it's there. Even the Intel techs on the forum don't have
a good answer.

I can live with the unexplained (2) in the name, but I'm pulling my hair
out over a possibly unrelated intermittent problem with connection on
boot: sometimes -- rarely I admit, maybe once in 20 boots -- I am
momentarily puzzled at logon to find I can connect to only a few
websites and others are unavailable. Something's wrong!

I've learned from experience that at this point I need to look at my
network connection which will now be named "Network 2" instead of the
normal "Network." With that confirmed, I've learned to go into Device
Manager, look under Network Adapters, uninstall the Intel Ethernet
Connection (2), open Action/Scan for Hardware Changes, and with the scan
complete I will have my Intel Ethernet Connection (2) device back in the
Device Manager list, and I'll also have my "Network" connection back and
functioning normally without the "2." This happens once every 20 boots
or so, and I have no idea what to do about it. As I'm grasping at
straws, I'm wondering if the "(2)" in the network adapter's name can be
confusing the LAN driver as it tries to make a connection at boot? It
sees the (2) in the adapter name and creates a special (but barely
functional) Network 2 connection for it? Maybe? Any other ideas? Thanks.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog