Old August 31st 03, 03:26 AM
wazaman59

Yes, it is the only device on the cable. I have the jumpers set as master.
Even though it isn't a Western Digital drive, that is still a good idea
about leaving the jumper off and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
. ca...
wazaman59 wrote:
I have a Compaq Presario that has fried hard drive.
I purchased a 40 Gig hard drive with a RPM of 5,600.
According to Compaq, the BIOS has a capability of reading up to an 80
Gig hard drive at 5,400 RPM.
I have installed it and have made sure that it is connected
to the #1 IDE motherboard connection.
When I go to set up, the system won't recognize a fixed drive at all.
Any ideas?

Is the hard drive the only device on the cable ? Is it jumpered as master
and plcaed on the end of the ribbon ? If it's a Western Digital and the

only
device on the primary IDE channel, you will need to remove the jumper on

the
hard drive in most cases.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated