Old July 15th 07, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default RAID1 on SATA drives

Bob Knowlden wrote:
I've never done it, but I have read that it is possible to use
different-sized disks to make an array. The result, however, will be the
same size as if all of the drives were the same as the SMALLEST one.

It might be more satisfactory to spend some more cash on a twin to your
new drive.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

To give an example, if you tried RAID1, using a 40GB and a 320GB drive,
the resulting mirrored array has a capacity of 40GB, and 280GB on the
second drive is inaccessible. Given the low price of drives, buying two
new ones ro make a RAID1, makes more sense.

Paul

"Squat" wrote in message
Hello all,
I would like to clone a Seagate SATA drive to another drive (It's my
boot drive)
My new drive is a larger seagate SATA drive.
My PC has the abaility to create a RAID drive in the boot options
(before windows is running)

My goal is to create a RAID 1, then remove the original and run the
new drive and the primary drive in the PC.

My question is this.
Can a raid be established on different size drives? My new one is
larger than the first drive.
Thanks in advance.
Squat,