Old March 1st 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_2_]

Default UPS question

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Hi all,

Tonight at 2:30am my wife's UPS started beeping. I went into the office and found that
the "on battery" LED from the APC Back-UPS CS 350 was on. Power was on, and my UPS had
not tripped. So, I turned it off and tried to turn it back on again. It beeped once, but
no LEDs lit up. I held the on button down until it beeped and then the "on battery" LED
lit up again, followed shortly after by the "overload" LED and the continuous siren
associated with it.

I disconnected everything from it (even though everything was switched off, many pieces
of equipment still draw some power) and tried again with the exact same results.

I connected it to a different wall outlet, the one that my computer and UPS are on, with
the exact same results.

I removed the battery and tried again: it beeps once then nothing. If I hold the button
down it emits a continuous tone and the "on battery" LED lights up until I release it.

The "surge only" socket will still power things even when the UPS is off.

The "replace battery" LED has never come on (the battery was replaced about 3 years ago
under an APC recall of certain batteries, so it's not terribly old and it's only been
used maybe four times in those three years while the system was powering down).

Is this UPS dead?

TIA,

Ari

sounds like the battery...what brand? That type of beep is a battery problem on this APC
UPS.
have the manual? if not try the web page for beep warning codes