Old March 1st 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Default UPS question

Hi all,

Tonight at 2:30am my wife's UPS started beeping. I went into the office
and found that the "on battery" LED from the APC Back-UPS CS 350 was on.
Power was on, and my UPS had not tripped. So, I turned it off and tried
to turn it back on again. It beeped once, but no LEDs lit up. I held
the on button down until it beeped and then the "on battery" LED lit up
again, followed shortly after by the "overload" LED and the continuous
siren associated with it.

I disconnected everything from it (even though everything was switched
off, many pieces of equipment still draw some power) and tried again
with the exact same results.

I connected it to a different wall outlet, the one that my computer and
UPS are on, with the exact same results.

I removed the battery and tried again: it beeps once then nothing. If I
hold the button down it emits a continuous tone and the "on battery" LED
lights up until I release it.

The "surge only" socket will still power things even when the UPS is off.

The "replace battery" LED has never come on (the battery was replaced
about 3 years ago under an APC recall of certain batteries, so it's not
terribly old and it's only been used maybe four times in those three
years while the system was powering down).

Is this UPS dead?

TIA,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/