Old September 13th 04, 02:10 AM

- HAL9000 in news:r869k0lm37bamc1oiere2tonri1ju93qkb@
4ax.com:

Its not necessary that anything is earth grounded. It is only
necessary to prevent any sparks to the mobo and such.

erk, right. i forgot. strap goes to teh *frame's* ground

going to house ground is especially useless since i'd have unplugged teh
case from the house's ground, so teh computer's ground wouln'dt be tied
to house ground anymore. (/smack my own head)

By sparks I
mean the type you get when touching a wall switch in the winter. FYI,
it takes about a 3,000+ volt spark for you to even feel it on your
skin. Smaller 2,000 volt sparks can damage components without you
realizing it.

yeah, think i've read it's the really low current (with hi volts)...
we can't feel those.

The method I use is to *first* touch and hold the side of the case
(exposed metal) with one hand while working with the other hand. In
this way the spark doesn't reach the components. When I need both
hands then I lay one arm against the side of the case while working.
A spark between you and the case is not a problem. A spark between
you and the mobo or chip is to be avoided at all costs.

Forrest

i touch unpainted metal on box, often, and avoid moving around

-------
Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

hmm... i looked at teh toms hardware PS link.. my PS is sparkle 300w
that replaced a 250w cheapo that burnt.. (cheapo mfr PS came in the
local shop's computer that i bought) I tend to do little else while
burning CDs, so i guess i havn'et overloaded the 300w. (btw, the 250w
burnt BEFORE i put in the cdrw )