Old October 19th 14, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bob F

Default Asus P5K Premium with Xeon E5472 and 771 to 775 adapter sticker??

Bob F wrote:
Not exactly an overclock yet, but maybe??

I am considering buying a used E5472 processor to use in this P5K
Premium board with a 771 to 775 adapter sticker. My memory is a pair
of 2GB PC2-6400 samsung M3 78T5663EH3-cf7. This processor has a 1600
MHz FSB. The motherboard seems to be
speced for 1600 FSB.

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions about this kind of
project? Is it likely to work? Will it overclock?

I finally got around to trying this processor on the P5K Premium after my
problems on the Abit IP35 Pro.

I modded the ASUS AMI bios using the following:
http://www.delidded.com/how-to-updat...e-in-ami-bios/

Booted it up to bios, reset to default, rebooted to windows. Windows runs for
awhile, then crashes. That's way further than I got with the Abit board.

Speedfan seems to display temps about 15C below the real temp displayed by
coretemp on the E5472. It was right on with my Q8200.

Temps, still using the stock Intel heatsink, seem to be higher than they should
be, so maybe that is why it crashes. The E5472 seems to have a max temp spec of
75C. Speedfan was showing temps in the mid 60's, so with the 15C offset, maybe
too high. The E5472 is supposedly 80W max compared to the Q8200 at 95, so I'm a
bit surprised. They seem to both idle around 50C, compensating for the speedfan
errors on the E5472, with speedfan controlling the CPU fan speed according to
temp.

I thought these newer processors were suppost to slow down if they get too hot,
rather than just crashing. Could it be a memory error? The DDR2-800 memory
should be able to handle this speed, right? ASUS claims this board is good to
FSB 1600, which I understand matches the DDR2-800 memory

I've got the Q8200 back in now, as this is my HTPC machine, so I don't want it
crashing, but will do more playing with the E5472 when I have the opportunity.

I'd appreciate opinions and suggestions.