Old August 30th 04, 04:17 PM
T Shadow

"Malc" wrote in message

"T Shadow" wrote in message
news
"Prometheus Xex" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Since my cable programs have surround sound, does MMC encode them

into the
recording? If not is there a way to do it? I'm still running an

8500 AIW
with the latest drivers.

- Me

MMC doesn't do it but it'll be there when you play it back.

If it's analogue cable then its probably using the old '70s '80's Dolby
surround system. This is encoded onto the normal two stereo channels. I
would guess that the surround information would be lost if it was then
re-recorded digitally in a compressed format, unless there is an option
to strip it out 1st.

Malc

OP said surround sound. I capture movies to SVCD format and the surround
sound is still there when I play the file back. I don't think there is any
real encoding. Stereo has the left/right info and some of the frequencies
are sent to the rear channels. Its not "intelligent" like Digital surround
sound.