Old May 6th 04, 10:28 AM
rstlne

"R" wrote in message ...
I built my Asus P3F with 700 pentium about 4 years ago, rock solid and
on win98se, but it's time for an upgrade.
I've put together three systems with Asus boards and all worked
perfect!!

I'm leaning for the new system to include:

Asus P4C800-E DELUXE
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz (Hyper Threading)
(2) Western Digital Raptor

Seems like every other day I read about a new virus out attaching Win
XP. I plan to get into Unix operating system on one hard
drive, but not sure if the second hard drive (portable) should keep the
Win 98se or go with Win XP? Would Win98se even work with
hyper thread? I already know Win98 would limit the new programs coming
out and the new software architecture would be
better with the newer processors, I just wondered if anyone is
successfully running Win98 on a newer processor.

Oh yeah, another quick question. Would the Antec 380 True Power be an
adequate power supply?

Thanks!!

Dont know about the PSU (maybee)
98se Would be okay but the HT support wouldnt be there as you say.
There are "unofficial" sites that do serice packs for windows.. and things
like the .NET framework HAVE BEEN ported to work on systems like 98 so in
many ways you can indeed run some of the latest software. I am not saying
that its going to be as easy as just installing a current OS in to your
system BUT if you "enjoy" modding your software settings then I would say
stick with 98se..
One other note if you DO stay with 98se then you can disable the swap file
(it's not as simple as turning it off) but you can force 98 to swap to ram
(sounds weird doesnt it) and it makes 98se BLAZING FAST..