Old July 8th 18, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default AMD and a hot date to flirt at the horrorshow

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 18:51:25 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

Vcore set to 1.35v now, and it's stable at that.

Temp warning alarm began beeping, screen went black, then it shut itself
down a couple days ago. I lowered the clock speed and the voltage. A few
hundred Mhz is noticeable, so I later put it back to 2Ghz where it was.
Now I wonder, does speed affect the CPU temp, or is it just the voltage?
No sense running slower if it's no cooler there.

The heatpipe CPU cooler probably met a threshold, where vapor abruptly
stopped condensing at the finned radiator end, then performance dropped
off the cliff. Temp in the room has been very near 100F.

Oh, hell yes, it does. Although a new CPU, say rated for 170F,
officially or otherwise (AMD takes a circumlocutious approach to
thermal monitoring, at least with this BullDozer/PileDrive), can
widely vary. Very. And over chip iterations. I used to, back aways
in some day, try and keep a CPU near my golden mean of 120F. Now it's
anywhere up to 135F, at before I think to raise my eyebrows, with 125F
being closer to a present norm.

Yeah, I hear that. It's hot. My MB's onboard VideoChip, ATI/AMD,
stock, recently kicked in a driver fault error window: something about
an instability issue and that the drivers were being unloaded from the
Operating System. Must be an intelligent little sucker to do all of
that. I anyway reset the BIOS timing setting for the videochip
frequency by a seventh lower and haven't seen hide nor hair of a
similar or related instability.

No - it's not because the heatwicking in the copper pipes isn't
correctly engineered. Those things just don't happen, unless it's a
pretty crappy CPU cooler in the first place, in which case you'd know
or probably suspect as much.

uDie fabrication, over time, where a Mobile Athlon certainly qualifies
for related theoretics, will break down due to predominately heat from
extended usage. All very involved, I'm sure. The conference rooms of
NASA scientists are all abuzz with the implications of satellites
nearing the peripherals of space, originally equipped with 486 chips.

If it doesn't especially bother you, sure, lower the clock and see how
it goes. I would.

(Can't offhand say w/voltage - I tend favor stock, also tending to
think of +voltage as more critical to a threshold of stability when
overclocking. Which I don't although it's very formulaic especially
for the gamers.)