Old August 24th 08, 09:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Default My E7300.....

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
'~misfit~' wrote, in part:
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a chipset and latency issue, nothing to do
with the CPU as such. The higher the strap the higher the CPU - NB
latency is set making it less likely to encounter errors with high
FSB speeds. It is in Intel thing but to do with chipset rather than
CPU.

_____

It must be a chipset feature; with my nVidia 680i chipset motherboard
I can set the FrontSide Bus frequency to any integer (within reason)
and the memory clock to any integer (within reason); some memory
clock settings will not 'take', and the integer set will adjust by a
few MHz. 'Course I have only an E4300 that tops out at about 3.3 GHz
no matter what the multiplier.

Yep, now that you mention it I've heard it mentioned in relation to Intel
chipsets, mainly the P35 (which is no surprise as it's what I have so that's
what I've mostly been reading about).

I see the run up to 'Nehalem' is beginning to affect prices;
newegg.com is offering the Q9550 for less than $325 US.

checks watch Mother of God! Is it *that* time already??

I can feel myself falling off the (cutting) edge! It was fun while it
lasted. I'll probably disappear from the hardware and overclocking groups
again soon, as I did last when Socket A became old hat and nobody wanted to
know what I knew anymore...

I'll just be lurking in the shadows, reading about the fantastic new stuff
and waiting in case someone wants help with obsolete gear. g

Cheers,
--
Shaun.