Old August 24th 08, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

Default My E7300.....

'~misfit~' wrote, in part:
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a chipset and latency issue, nothing to do with
the CPU as such. The higher the strap the higher the CPU - NB latency is
set making it less likely to encounter errors with high FSB speeds. It is
in Intel thing but to do with chipset rather than CPU.

_____

It must be a chipset feature; with my nVidia 680i chipset motherboard I can
set the FrontSide Bus frequency to any integer (within reason) and the
memory clock to any integer (within reason); some memory clock settings
will not 'take', and the integer set will adjust by a few MHz. 'Course I
have only an E4300 that tops out at about 3.3 GHz no matter what the
multiplier.

I see the run up to 'Nehalem' is beginning to affect prices; newegg.com is
offering the Q9550 for less than $325 US.

Phil Weldon

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Fishface" typed:
~misfit~ wrote:

Do you really want me to try it? I don't need to on my mobo as it
has such excellent OCing options in BIOS. However, if you'd like me
to try it I will. It's not like I haven't got about 4 tubes of
different TIMs.

They are saying it can cause it to boot with a different strap or
something and enable it to go higher on some boards.

Yes, it would. However my BIOS allows me to set the strap manually and
choose between 200, 266, 333 and 400. It's not dependant on the CPU to set
it.

But since you
were able to run 8 x 450, though, I don't know. Probably not?

No, there is truth in the 'strap' limiting max FSB. I think it's to do
with latency to NB. ( Semi-informed speculation, take with a grain of
salt.)

What the heck is Intel doing to the low FSB parts to limit them?!

See above. The E4500 (200 FSB stock) that I ran on a 450 FSB was done with
the strap set to 400.

An interesting test would be to try each core separately. Maybe only
one is not up to snuff?

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a chipset and latency issue, nothing to do with
the CPU as such. The higher the strap the higher the CPU - NB latency is
set making it less likely to encounter errors with high FSB speeds. It is
in Intel thing but to do with chipset rather than CPU.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.