Old July 16th 19, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

MaxTheFast wrote:
Do not misunderstand My idea is to use my 3.5" HDD
within my fantec enclosure AND the converter outside it,
not just a HDD+converter as yours. The converter will
connect my enclosure and the mobo because my goal is to
use the mobo's sata ports and not its usb ports, in other
word my converter usage will be "opposite/reverse" as
the standard one it was built to. And remember my enclosure
has its independent power supply so I'm going to use the
converter only for data so my 3.5" hdd within my enclosure
will be powered apart from converter. Keep in mind it's just
an experiment so it's not important how I've to "work"
So my question is about the hardware behavior of this
system [HDD] - [enclosure] - [hacked usb-sata converter
cable] - [mobo sata]: will it work?
This time I ask you before buying anything

Mobo:

Sata ------- SATA to USB -------- USB enclosure -- chip ---- SATA drive
/\ | | |
/||\ 3.3 5.0 12V
|| \-----------------/
|| wall adapter etc
To start with, the SATA to USB doesn't go backwards.
So that would be a problem.

The closest bidirectional chip I know of, does "SATA to IDE"
but by changing a config pin, does "IDE to SATA". Some
versions of those, there is a jumper and you can
select either mode. There are sufficient connectors
to support the two modes.

*******

One way to do it, would be like this, but there isn't
any particular advantage. No adapters needed, just a
regular SATA cable, plus the lid on the enclosure must
be loose so the SATA can be routed out of the enclosure.
If there is a short data cable inside the enclosure, you
disconnect it from the drive, then connect the long
SATA cable to the mobo (through the removal of a PCI slot cover).

| |
Sata ---+ USB enclosure -- chip +- SATA drive
| | |
3.3 5.0 12V
wall adapter etc

The wall adapter and enclosure power switch, enable the SATA drive.
You could use a 24" to 36" data cable.

Paul