Old November 27th 10, 11:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default AC Adapter question

On 11/27/2010 12:39 PM, MZB wrote:
OK, I wrecked my AC Adapter (pins shot).

The original AC Adapter had 65 watts. I bought one from a friend, a new
universal one, that works fine. Same voltage, but has 90 watts. My
friend says that doesn't matter.

Does it matter?

(I have a Compaq, but my other computers are Dells and I figure you guys
know about this stuff)

Mel

The wattage rating of an A/C adapter is the maximum wattage it can
provide on a sustained basis. If the computer needs less wattage to run
or charge the battery, that's all the adapter provides.

I have one of the hulking 130w adapters that come with the Inspiron
5150, 5160 or 9100. It works just fine with a low wattage 12" D400. In
fact, it is my most universal A/C adapter for powering Dell laptops...
Ben Myers