Old August 12th 04, 05:16 AM
nikoli

John Oliver wrote:
I'm specing out a new web server, and want to be able to compare an
Athlon-based system with a P4 based system. It's relatively easy to
find "server" quality boards for the P4, but I can't find any info for
Athlon server boards (except the Tyan Thunder K7X Pro, but I don't need
dual processor and it's twice the price of the Intel S875WP1-E that's
being quoted for the Intel-based system).

If you need server purposes, I'd highly highly highly recommend going
with a dual processor setup. You can always run a single cpu and upgrade
to 2 later when you need better performance. For server purposes, the
AMD 64 Opteron blows any Xeon away. It's actually not even close.

http://www.tcwo.com/detail.htm?ProductID=400784

if you must stick with single cpu

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128