Old November 27th 08, 04:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Monitor Question

Postman Delivers wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:23:17 -0600, Bozena wrote:

video card is an STB Powergraph 64 Video

Does this Video card have the capabilities of powering a 17 or 19 inch
wide screen monitor - Will it produce the resolution of 1440x900 or
1680x1050 would be my question...

JR the postman

The STB Powergraph 64 is a very old PCI card with (IIRC) an S3 graphics
chip. S3 stopped making drivers for their chips long ago, even before
Windows XP. The odds of the card handling any sort of wide resolution
are zero. No doubt in my mind. Any PCI card that would install
properly in an ancient Gateway system would also be pretty unlikely to
support one of the resolutions OR (even more likely) not even have
Windows 9x drivers.

As nice as a new wide screen monitor may seem, I recommend that the OP
shop for a 17" LCD (maybe even a 15"?) with the old-time 4:3 aspect
ratio and an operating resolution of either 1024x768 or 1280x1024. Used
17" LCD screens in good condition sell for under $100, maybe half that
if used. The local craigslist is often a good source.

Or it's time to replace both failing monitor and trusty Gateway that has
served well for 13 or 14 years... Ben Myers