Old September 9th 03, 06:45 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
With USB I need:

USB hole for mouse.
Serial port for printer and other serial devices.

No. USB hole for printer :-)

Then I need a hub.

Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.

Firewire and Ethernet are inside the laptop (the modern ones),

Ah, now you're changing the rules. Adding more ports.

USB port for handheld. Nominally 12 MB/s, practically 56K.

Dunno on handhelds,

I do.

Another USB hub because the first one keeps resetting the mouse
when I plug in the annoying USB flash memory dongle.

Bad hub, which violates the spec.

Then it seems at least 3 out of 4 "compact" hubs violate the spec.

New laptop with cardbus slot for ethernet/SCSI/firewire
because USB is still too frigging slow.

Large laptops have the DVD drive in them.

Ah, so that's another non-USB port.

External drive is necessary for
smaller ones only (subnotebooks, 1.1kg weight). Modem is also there.

And another one.

So... with a non-USB laptop I have:

PS/2 port for mouse.
Serial port for handheld or printer or router config.
Parallel port I don't use.
Cardbus slots.
Ethernet.
Modem.
Media bay.
PS/2 splitter if I want an external keyboard.

Now, with USB that's been reduced to:

USB port for mouse.
USB port for handheld or printer.
Firewire port I don't use.
Cardbus slots.
Ethernet.
Modem.
Media bay.
USB hub if I want an external keyboard.
USB serial dongle for router config.

This has clearly reduced clutter.

Actually, what I have on my laptop is:

USB port for handheld.
USB port for keyboard.
PS/2 port for mouse.
Ethernet.
Modem.
Media bay.
IR port.
Serial port.
Parallel port I don't use.

Don't get me wrong. USB is useful. But... removing the PS/2 and serial
ports is a step backwards.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All