Old September 9th 03, 10:57 AM
Jeff Sutter

(idunno) wrote in message . com...

I think what you want is a snap appliance. Certainly I think you have
to look at something bigger or more expensive than you were hoping.
What you are looking for sounds like a great product but I don't think
it's here yet. If you could make it and bring it to market - I'd buy
it!

Newer hardware seems to handle USB better than those days (which I
agree was horrible). USB did flounder very badly for a few years.

Sorry I confused network disks with FAT32 - Win95 acts funny when
using Windows Networking, access volumes 32G, or with very large
directory trees. I presume an NAS box could be configured to appear
as multiple network drives of 32G, yes?

Win9x acts funny and gets confused in all kinds of scenarios and has
lots of limitations. Networking in general can be very screwy and
often takes some finessing to kinda work right or get it running
again. I just have no patience for it or the machines of that era. I
was not aware of that limitation esp bc I dumped it long before 32G
drives were ever made. At a certain point eventhough a machine still
"runs" it still can become more trouble than it is worth.

Precisely the reason I stick with old, proven, reliable hardware and
software. It is my new hardware (Athlons, Dell P3's) which continue
to fail miserably at maintaining working USB devices for more than a
week at a time. Friends call me all the time asking for support on
their W2K/XP systems - inevitably, something to do with USB
functionality.

Far be it for me to sing praises of Win95, but it does 99% of
everything I need or want, and I can live with 32G slices, and I have
no network problems. My Win95 systems, given sufficient memory,
suffer no complications. I don't mind doing a little custom
configuration to match everything else that is known to work. A
decent, 5" slimline NAS box definitely is in order. Guess maybe I
will have to build it, after all.

Its a bit off-group-topic, but does anyone recommend a pentium-class
SBC that will fit in a 1/2 height 5" CDROM enclosure, with room for a
3.5" device?

Thanks again.
Jeff.