Old October 28th 03, 01:28 PM
Kevin Childers

As a link to one possible source for either a chip or a motherboard:
www.epcusa.com. A seller of used business machines and components. They
have a ton of Compaqs at their store here.

KC

"M" wrote in message

"DEJ57" wrote in message
A bios upgrade floppy-disk were used to boot - and it asked if i really
wanted to update my bios or something like that, and then during the

upgrade
it wen't black - and now when i start it up, its all black. So i'm

quite
sure the bios got "wiped" :-).

BIOS updates are risky. If the flash fails it can leave your unit dead.

All
BIOS updates/upgrades I've seen warn you to only use the update if you

have a
serious problem that the update fixes, or at the instruction of the PC
manufacturer.

I totally agree :-)

I may well be wrong--my experience has been somewhat narrow. But I

thought it
had been accurately reported in the NG that Compaq didn't sell BIOS

chips,
and
I was unable sometime ago to find any source for a replaceable chip for

particular board in a Presario. Hope you prove me wrong!

I don't have any replacement board recommendations. Sorry.

But thanks for your help and input under all circumstances.

Martin