Old October 27th 03, 10:28 PM

"DEJ57" wrote in message
I have a compaq Presario 5700T - and my bios accidently got wiped out

Out of curiousity, how did that happen?

A bios upgrade floppy-disk were used to boot - and it asked if i really
wanted to update my bios or something like that, and then during the upgrade
it wen't black - and now when i start it up, its all black. So i'm quite
sure the bios got "wiped" :-).

Do you know for a fact that the BIOS chip is in a socket, not soldered on

the
systemboard?

What do you mean with that? Does it mean that it will be impossible to
change one self? - or will it maker very hard to change or something?

I do wish you luck in getting another chip, but my impression has been

that
these are as hard to find as hens teeth for Compaq PCs...

Thanks :-) - but with that remark, i guess i might as well give up...

Maybe i should just upgrade to a new computer - ...hey...lemme see... is it
possible to change only the motherboard? - to another one that supports the
current cpu (i think its a p3 550mhz if i remember correctly).
That way i could also avoid changing the entire case and PSU. And i also
like that the current "slow" cpu have no heat-issues like many newer one
have.....

In other words: maybe i should just find a motherboard that is in such way -
that i ONLY need to change that, and JUST that! - will that be possible?
(i know the recovery cd won't work anymore then, but i guess its possible to
find the drivers manually on the net :-)).

Any recommendations on other motherboards then?

(to cut it out - if i decided to buy a very new board, i would have to
change cpu too right? - and also i would maybe have to change RAM ... and
probably a few other things i haven't thought of - oh - and the
beforementioned case too probably ).

Thanks again!

Dale

Martin