Old January 3rd 13, 05:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

Default restoring OS on GW GT5408

On 1/2/2013 5:06 AM, BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Frank typed:
On 12/29/2012 3:29 AM, BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Frank typed:
Thanks. Mentioned in other thread that son wiped machine and
replaced OS with Linux. He had recovered Vista but Windows updates
slowed it to a crawl. Having wifi connection problem, I put it
aside and just bought a new GW. Hard to tell what recovery systems
are in place.

Different strokes I guess. I am hooked on the year 2006 for
computers. I have 16 of them from that year alone. What is nice
about them is the better ones comes with dual core CPUs, and
supports 64 bit, 4GB or more memory, has XP drivers, can run XP
through Windows 8, etc. Heck I just bought two new Dell Latitude ST
machines. And they are
terrible! As they are so slow you can't even play most youtube
videos on them. I am so sorry I bought them now. I can't believe
Dell would even sell these thinking people would be happy with them.
:-(

My new GW is great. Came with 6 gigs memory with potential upgrade to
32, 64 bit and terabyte HD which I will never fill. It is also very
fast and extremely quiet. Very fast in loading. With my old Vista
machine, I'd be playing games for 5 minutes while it fully loaded. Now
it is ready to go in maybe 15 seconds.

Cannot say I am real happy with Win 8 which is more designed for
phones and touch screens. High learning curve to get it to operate
on my desktop like I want. For example picture viewer and pdf viewer
are what you might expect on a phone and only view with no file
manipulation. You have to default to desktop programs. Classical
card games are not there and must be downloaded as aps - also a PITA.

Might also mention that the Carbonite backup was disappointing as it
did not back up my music, videos or Thunderbird profile. I was
ditching it anyway for a portable HD as it seemed to slow down
machine, sometimes not allowing it to be shut down. It did save all
my important business documents and photos.

Ah yes... Windows 64 bit. Just amazing support for gobs of RAM. Although
the big tradeoff is you can only use 64 bit drivers, some 32 bit
programs won't run, and no 16 bit programs will run at all. If you can
live with this, all should be fine. ;-)

Ah Windows 8... yes I have been running it here since March of last year
on a non-touch screen. I only recently started playing (in the last
month) with it on a touch screen tablet. And it doesn't matter much to
me whether I use 8 on a touch screen or not. As you can do everything
well with a mouse and keyboard too. The cool thing about touch is
scrolling and zooming. But you don't need touch for that either.

Sorry about Carbonite... Kim Komando talks highly of it all of the time.
Although it is also one of her sponsors.

Have yet to have any programing problems.

Carbonite had sponsored Limbaugh which is where I heard about it.

He and Kommando are Apple people and probably just use the icloud
themselves.