Old February 16th 06, 09:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default added memory-- so far so good

Glad to hear it worked out. I'd suggest, if you haven't already done it,
that you also look at running several spyware detectors as well as have
updates AV sigs. Also, review the programs that are automatically started.
Many apps add programs to run at startup to speed up the loading time for
the applications. This uses up RAM and can slow things down considerably.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"MB_" wrote in message
I posted recently about the sale at Staples. I have a Dell Dim 2400. Over
the years it has gradually slowed to a crawl on booting, and more and more
the drive just starts going and slowing things up. I'm reasonable sure it
isn't any one program (but I could be wrong).

I only have 256 MB and with XP and stuff, I suspect it just swaps excess
stuff to the disk quite often.

Anyway, the memory is called K-byte. I got a 256 MB stick to put in my one
vacant slot. It definitely starts up much quicker and seems to be perkier.
It did recognize the new memory immediately upon start up. So, hopefully
this will work out.

Previously, I added memory (Kingston) and it also started out good but
then I started getting blue screened. Memtest showed problems with the
memory. When I removed that chip (returned it to Best Buy) all was well as
far as the blue screen goes, but of course I was back to the crawl.
hopefully, this is now okay.

If I start getting blue-screened again, do I conclude that the problem is
in the slot???

(I know I could have just moved the original memory chip to the second
slot, but I kind of didn't want to mess with the known good memory (just
hesitant about breaking something!)

Mel