Old February 16th 06, 03:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default added memory-- so far so good

SBS:

I've heard only good things about Kingston, but in my case I think I got bad
memory or the slot has a problem. I reseated it twice, but the problem.

I'm reasonably sure I installed it correctly. The slots only allow one way
of installation and it seemed to snap in pretty well.

We shall see how the new module works.

Mel

"sbs2003user" wrote in message
kingston is quality ram and assuming that it was pc2100/pc2700 rated then
is should have worked. it would be far more likely that your blue screens
were due to improper installation rather than a defective memory module
(but of course it could have been a defective module, albeit it rare).
should you see blue screens again then you might just try to remove and
reinstall the module so that it is correctly seated. to be more through
you could do as you mentioned and swap the location of the chip and use it
exclusively in the system to eliminate the issue being socket related.
happy to hear that the kbyte has worked out for you... and what a bargain
price you got with your coupon!

"MB_" wrote in message
I posted recently about the sale at Staples. I have a Dell Dim 2400. Over
the years it has gradually slowed to a crawl on booting, and more and more
the drive just starts going and slowing things up. I'm reasonable sure it
isn't any one program (but I could be wrong).

I only have 256 MB and with XP and stuff, I suspect it just swaps excess
stuff to the disk quite often.

Anyway, the memory is called K-byte. I got a 256 MB stick to put in my
one vacant slot. It definitely starts up much quicker and seems to be
perkier. It did recognize the new memory immediately upon start up. So,
hopefully this will work out.

Previously, I added memory (Kingston) and it also started out good but
then I started getting blue screened. Memtest showed problems with the
memory. When I removed that chip (returned it to Best Buy) all was well
as far as the blue screen goes, but of course I was back to the crawl.
hopefully, this is now okay.

If I start getting blue-screened again, do I conclude that the problem is
in the slot???

(I know I could have just moved the original memory chip to the second
slot, but I kind of didn't want to mess with the known good memory (just
hesitant about breaking something!)

Mel