Old December 23rd 03, 12:39 AM
kony

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:41:50 -0000, "GeoffC"
wrote:

** System info printed below.

I am planning to upgrade my graphics card to a GF5900 which is AGP 8. My
motherboard is only AGP 4, so will this work and the AGP 8 card will step
down, or are they incompatible?

Yes it will work.

The second question concerns memory. I would like to add 512MB to the
current system and as can be seen by the output below the current memory is
PC2100 (133 MHz). Having had a very quick look, it appears that the 266mhz
is more common. Can the 266mhz chips be mixed with 133mhz. Will this
create an unstable system. If so is it actually easy to get hold of the
133mhz chips anyway

Perhaps you mean "DDR266", not 266MHz? Or perhaps some vendors have
misidentified it. You might do well to avoid vendors that can't even
provide proper terminology, they're either misleading on purpose or of
questionable competence to sell memory.

Generally it's best to stay with the "PC" rating, which in your case
means you need PC2100. True 266Mhz memory would be called PC4200...
not too common yet.

I want to run two monitors and I'm curious how these cards support that. Do
they have a standard SVGA analogue type connector as well as a DVI. If yes
can the DVI port also drive an analogue monitor, and if so does this require
a conversion cable.

Yes, "usually" they have one of both connectors, and so long as it's a
retail package it's typical to include the adapter, is a small inline
type, not on a cable, similar to
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ion=14-999-201

Dave