Old December 31st 19, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Video: Skynet ? on a Pentium 166 from 1997 ?

wrote:
I am going to post this here as well:

It's mostly about how and if it's possible to use a usb 2.0 harddisk on pentium 3 or even pentium 166 ?!? =D

To use it to transfer these files, otherwise I will have to use network cards and hope for the best ! =D

Video: Skynet ? on Pentium 166 from 1997 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Qf...ature=youtu.be

I may need some help to retrieve these files from this Pentium 166 ?!

I will try my own udp file transfer tool later and use network technology.

Problem right now is:

CD-Rom drive of DreamPC is basically broken.
Floppy dick/disk lol what a typo ain't present.
Pentium 166 does not have USB ports for usb harddisk.

Backup CD's are oxidized and data corrupted ?!

This could maybe also be a source of skynet data corruption ?! Then again so far windows refuses to read data corruption into itself ?! Was this a protection feature to prevent skynet from being created ?! =D

Do you electronics designers ever think about data corruption and how it might accidently create skynet by creating a random computer program by chance ?! =D

Anyway it would be nice if a USB 2.0 external harddisk could be attached to the pentium 166. Perhaps later I google if there is any solution.

I also tried the USB 2.0 external harddisk on a pentium 3, 450 mhz, which does have usb ports, but they are probably only usb 1.0.

Windows xp on the pentium 3 does detect the driver and it does install some kind of driver maybe, but the drive doesn't show up in windows explorer ?!

So I am guessing it is unusuable ?!

I am too scared to attach the computers to the internet for any updating because of virusses lurking around, so trying windows update to see if there are any more recent drivers or so is out of the question ! =D

Also network corruption could also be a source of skynet ! =D

Also let me know if you ever had any freak corruption accident like this

Alternatively these files could be renamed to *.exe or *.com just to see what would happen =D

I hope you enjoy the story and also there is a little lesson/warning to be learned from it.

Especially for programmers working in large data centers ! =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Does the Pentium 3 have a network card in it ?

Do you have a router/switch thing to plug it into ?

Maybe you can use file sharing to the laptop you
sometimes have or something. Or use FTP. I don't
know anything about your setup, so can't dream up
any other solutions.

There don't seem to be a lot of choices for USB2 PCI cards
any more, so unless a local store has old stock or
"surplus" items, you might not be able to find
a desirable one. I think NEC stopped making the USB2
chips, and only some VIA branded chips are available
for USB2. And with USB3 cards, the odds are poor
that their collection of W7/W8/W10 drivers would
be of any use. I have a USB3 card running on WinXP,
but you can't find stuff like that any more. There
are some USB3 chips of more recent vintage, but
they're Win7+ on drivers.

I was joking with someone the other day, about
using "kermit" transfer and a serial port, but
as it turns out, the old collection of kermit
executables is pretty awful, and you're unlikely
to get that running in any case. And the transfer
rate would likely be 5-10KB per second. Terrible
idea...

*******

I could not view your Youtube video. It said
it was age-restricted and I would need to login.
Not gonna happen...

Paul