Old October 20th 04, 09:04 AM
Russell W. Barnes

Thanks, guys...

I fitted a new graphics card (NVIDIA BFG with 64M ram), and all now
OK. Considering I don't do games, there are all sorts of twiddles on
this new card!

My normal practice is to leave the PC switched on (Presario 5000
5WV254), and - when finished - put it into standby and turn the
monitor off altogether, switching it on when next needed, and thus
avoiding 'standby' mode (unless away for a short time). Is this wise
practise? I remember years ago, on my old 8088 IBM, having trouble if
I switched the monitor off, but I thought things had come on since
then.
--

Regds,

Russell W. B.
http://www.huttonrow.co.uk

I'll place my money on the video card, especially if the inside of the computer
chassis has/had a lot of dust and dirt inside. If the nVidia card has a fan
clogged with dust, the graphics chip can overheat with resulting unpredictable
operation. nVidia cards have a reputation for hot chips in more ways than one.
The transistors inside a chip begin to break down when a chip is overheated for
too long of a period of time... Ben Myers

On 19 Oct 2004 00:59:30 -0700, (Russell W. Barnes)
wrote:

Dear all,

Your assistance is required once again...

When I tried to 'wake up' my PC last night (Compaq Presario 5000 with
MV540 monitor), the PC burst into life, but the monitor remained on
stand-by.

after switching both PC and monitor on and off repeatedly (I can
ususally hear a relay clicking away when normal wake-up is achieved),
I disconnected the monitor and powered it. It displayed the usual RGB
'check-cable' indication, so I took the monitor to be working OK.

I eventually got the monitor working by removing the video card
(NVIDIA GeForce) and re-fitting it. Everything then powered normally.

Is it likely to be a video card fault, or a motherboard fault? Any
suggestions appreciated!
--

Kind Regds,

Russell W. B.