Old September 4th 03, 10:11 AM
idunno

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 03:50:23 +0000 (UTC), (Peter da
Silva) wrote:

In article ,
idunno wrote:
My experience with tape is very limited and very different. Around
1995 I got a Conner Travan drive that had a floppy interface (I

used

Stop right there.

The Travan drives, particularly the floppy based ones, were foul

beyond
belief. If DAT is the "jalopy" of tape drives, Travan is the "Barbie

Ferrari"
of tape drives. It looks like a drive, and you can even kinds use it

as one,
slowly, in small pieces. But it's little better than a toy by

comparison
even with traditionally "poor" drives like (say) TU58.

I'm not kidding. The quality of the Travan drives really was that far
behind even inexpensive professional drives. If someone tried to sell

car as badly made as the Travan tape drive they'd be put in jail,

even in
Eastern Europe they'd have been put in jail, back in the depths of

the
Warsaw Pact. They're that bad.

Amen.

I haven't touched tape since.

No wonder. That's like being taken to a greasy spoon and getting

salmonella
and assuming that's a typical American dining experience.

After getting salmonella things like runny eggs, Steak Tartar, and
sushi aren't all that appetizing - even if the sushi IS from Nubu.