Old October 22nd 03, 10:36 AM
TT

The mutilplier in my manual is maximum 12.5 and the BIOS upgrades have never
noted any new pin selection for upping the multiplier at all. Makes me
wonder why they place BIOS upgrades on the web site that say it will allow
2400+ on the motherboard if the mutiplier cannot go high enough. I ended up
taking it back for a full refund.

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:09:20 +0000, TT wrote:

Just purchased a AthlonXP 2400+ for an old Soltek SL75KAV motherboard.
Happily running an AthlonXP 1800+ for over a year on this board. This

was
the last upgrade of CPU this motherboard could handle (as it only has

266
FSB and uses SDRAM). I updated the BIOS before updating the chip as per
Soltek's website to allow for 2400+ chip on this M/B. Put the new chip

in
and after clearing CMOS it boots up noting "Unknown CPU type 1700+". No
amount of re-flashing the BIOS both back to previous version and the

latest
version will get my PC to boot noting that it has the new 2400+ chip in

it.
M/B has dip switches for multiplier and FSB settings, but as I am not
o/c'ing this chip, I don't see why I should play with these? Bought the
chip from retailer in an AMD box with AMD fan. Should I take the thing
back and get a refund?

No. You need to set the multiplier and FSB to equate to the speed you
want.