Old October 19th 03, 06:48 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:09:20 +0000, TT wrote:

Just purchased a AthlonXP 2400+ for an old Soltek SL75KAV motherboard.
Happily running an AthlonXP 1800+ for over a year on this board. This was
the last upgrade of CPU this motherboard could handle (as it only has 266
FSB and uses SDRAM). I updated the BIOS before updating the chip as per
Soltek's website to allow for 2400+ chip on this M/B. Put the new chip in
and after clearing CMOS it boots up noting "Unknown CPU type 1700+". No
amount of re-flashing the BIOS both back to previous version and the latest
version will get my PC to boot noting that it has the new 2400+ chip in it.
M/B has dip switches for multiplier and FSB settings, but as I am not
o/c'ing this chip, I don't see why I should play with these? Bought the
chip from retailer in an AMD box with AMD fan. Should I take the thing
back and get a refund?

No. You need to set the multiplier and FSB to equate to the speed you
want.