Old December 10th 07, 07:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
lars

Default Stick with onboard SATA controller instead of dedicated one, along with seperate 3ware?

Arno Wagner wrote:

Ok, that is for very high availability stuff only. And it is
not RAID in thst strict sense. It is mirrored memory that can
continue to operate through ECC failure. Unless the controller
and bus system is orders of magnitude more reliable than the
memory used, this makes no sense at al technologicaly.

Mirrored is RAID 1!

I know clustered OS has come around to stay. But still being able to run
until next service opportunity to replace memory, great stuff if you really
need it.

Arno Wagner wrote:

I never vclaimed that. But I expect a SSD is as reliable as the
disk controller in the first place and reduyndancy by multiple
SSDs makes no sense.

No No disk controller. Highend. Eg. HDS 99xx systems - Doing 7D+1P uses 8
disk controllers, so also the disk controller can be replaced as FRU with
running disk system. In each array each disk only uses a given disk
controller for one disk in the array. Each disk controller then beeing used
for many disk arrays.
Think IBM highend disk systems, 8300 (and lower), as well.

And yes disk controllers they do fail.