Old December 6th 07, 08:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
lars

Default Stick with onboard SATA controller instead of dedicated one, along with seperate 3ware?

markm75 wrote:

I'm brainstorming a new server.. i've decided to go with a 12 drive
case for this one.. which means the 8 port pci-e 3ware card now needs
to be a 12 port..

But.. this motherboard

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_...&USER_I D=www
already has 6 sata and raid5 and raid10 ability...

Would it be a bad idea to use the onboard one for the extra 4 drives?

This server will house 3 sql instances, file serving, antivirus
central server, but the user base is 40 and 2 of those sql instances
are low hit rates.

Would i see that much more performance for the extra $250 it would
cost to put them all on the same card.. or in fact.. might it be
better just to split them up in fact.

Thanks for any input here.

"This is for random operations with small block sizes. At large block sizes,
the Mtron
drive is 10-40% faster than a 15K SSD, mostly depending on what part of the
HDD
you are accessing."

Think you aught to currect this part... "15K SSD" ??

I think great stuff otherwise. SSD's have to go into RAID systems, think so
to, nice to see someone agreeing on this.

Any thoughts about RAID 6, is it needed on SSD's, large HDD 144GB+ yes but
large SSD - think rebuild time aught to be lower with SSD ??