Old August 24th 03, 06:30 PM
warlord716

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message
Hi all

Well, I am biting the biscuit and doing something I should have done years
ago and building my own setup. After many years of buying sub standard

rigs
from mainstream vendors with great "stats" yet the cheapest nastiest parts
imaginable I am determined to caugh up the mulah and go for DIY

I am looking for some advice on the components I have chosen. I know each
individual have their own "tastes" when it comes to parts, but what I am
looking for is any known compatibility problems between the parts, any

known
"major" issues with various parts i.e tempermental motherboards with a
shoddy bios etc.

Parts are as follows

Thermaltake ATX Supertower ( black ) with window

Thermaltake Silent 480W ATX PSU Dual Fan

Asustek S478 Intel 865PE Deluxe ATX A L R Mobo

since u are getting a cpu that is hyper threading ready, dump the 865
chipset and get a nice 875...much better for oc-ing, besides its the newest
and best.

if u are looking for a price around $125, check out the ABit Ic7, exceleent
except it dont have onboard lan. if u are willing to drop $175 check out
the asus p4c800-E deluxe.

i dont know the deal with the cost of these parts in the uk, but check it
out.
Intel P4 2.6 512Kb S478 800FSB

Thermaltake S478/SoA Aquarius II Water Cooling

Kingston ValueRAM 2x512MB PC3200 DDR (matched)

Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4800 128MB

Asustek CD-RW 52/52/24

I have worked out I can buy this set up for around £700 with a bit of
shopping around and trips to Bowlers - is this good value or should I be
aiming lower?

Does anyone know if any of these parts will clash with each other?

Are there any known bugs with any of these parts which I should consider
prior to purchasing?

I am wanting to make sure the PC is hyperthread ready, can run at full
800FSB and is utilising AGP 3.0 standards. Of course many would say many

of
these functions are currently defunct as they are not being utilised but
they will be eventually, and I would like to be readyf or them when they

do.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice offered

Kind Regards

Daniel Yates