Old November 2nd 03, 04:18 AM
Von Fourche

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Von Fourche" wrote in
link.net:

ME did not run well on some older computers when it was released. My
computer was shipped with it and has a sticker on it that says "Optimized
for Windows ME."

ME is basically Win 98SE with some features borrowed from Win 2000, like
the TCP/IP stack. However, a lot of the window dressing that came with ME
can cause problems, like PC Health and System Restore.

It also shipped with an absolute crap version of IE 5.5 that caused
problems with crashing. Upgrading IE or eradicating it makes the system

run
much better.

If Win 98SE supported my Winmodem, I'd probably be running it, as it is
skinnier and has been out long enough for most of the bugs to be worked
out. It might be of interest to note that 98 was also called by many a
buggy, unneeded upgrade to Windows 95.

As it is I am running a stripped down "ME Lite" (no IE, PC Health, System
Restore and other junk like OOBE) and it runs beautifully.

What's wrong with system restore? I sleep easier at night knowing that
if I mess up my computer I could restore it to an earlier point, although I
haven't used it yet. Does Windows XP have system restore?