Old September 23rd 20, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Crucial 128G flastick USB problem could be software

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 05:10:21 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Check in Device Manager.

It shouldn't really have a Power Management tab for the Crucial device.
But check anyway. If so, don't allow the computer to turn it off.

If the USB port is a USB3 port from a PCI Express card, make
sure the USB3 card is not taking a snooze on you. Maybe it
has a Power Management tab for the hub or something.

There really isn't a good excuse for it falling asleep like that.
Just make sure there hasn't been a recent "technical improvement"
that has ruined things.

It's not really falling asleep.

As I said there's a great little LED light on the Crucial much as MB
pin-connections controls for the front panel HDD activity.

The Crucial slugs itself into a steady LED light, cycling a few
milliseconds briefly off for then continued two, three seconds of
steady on at a failed-access state.

I then reinsert it (or "clear it" with another flashstick), in any
event hopefully for a good connect and identity routine: A good
flashstick connection is that the LED stays on briefly, whereupon it
begins flashing for perhaps ten or so times. LED-offs being instead
the millisecond "bursts", whereupon an Explorer instance pops up to
identify the drive contents. I'm often shuffling that Crucial,
transferring or looking at data between two computers.

I also just went through to turn off, or so attempted, any further
Explorer file-association activity with the drive letter Crucial
usually gets assigned.

I though interesting, nonetheless, how inserting another flashdrive
seemed to jolt back the USB identity protocol for initializing a
recently removed and edited drive, by itself that will often refuse to
be identified.