Old January 30th 04, 09:12 PM
Phil Weldon

No, just wrong. Black is better for absorption AND for emission of
radiation. However, for a heatsink (or case) used to dissipate heat by
convection, the color makes little difference, though anodization is better
for coloring than paint. Also, if you are using forced air convection for
cooling the interior of the case, the case material is of little importance.
Convection trumps radiation, especially at room temperatures.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message
Hi Troops,
I was referring to the old fashioned hot water radiators used to heat
rooms - Way before most of you were born The fact that there are black
heatsinks, radiators, etc. does not mean that they are better at
dissipating/reflecting heat. Put a black and a white car side by side on

hot day. Wait a few hours and the interior temperature of the black car
will be higher than the white. A roof with light colored shingles will be
cooler than the one with dark shingles. A white shirt will keep you

cooler
in the summer than a black/dark shirt. But maybe I'm comparing apples and
oranges??
--
Tally Ho!
Ed
"McCrack" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:07:13 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton"
wrote:

Ummmmmmm... most car radiators happen to be black... and the one I
have on my watercooled P4 setup is black as well...

And Alpha heatsinks are black.