Old April 25th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default Nvidia 9600GT Font Rendering Looks Terrible

The Viewsonic VP2330wb monitor does have a 1920*1200 setting. I haven't
looked at their model list for a while. Perhaps it was replaced by a 24
inch model. I turned off the resolution notice message informing the
operator "for best results the monitor should be set to 1920*1200. And
I did install the most up to date drivers. I'm beginning to think there
is a compatibility issue between Viewsonic and Nvidia. And yes this is
my first LCD screen. The compact size is a definite advantage. But I'm
beginning to think that the tube monitors are better in many ways.

That model uses 1920WS as its native resolution (according to the spec
sheet). So keep adjusting the various settings of text, particularly
size and cleartype and it will look acceptable. Or not.

There is no systemic 'compatibility issue' between Viewsonic displays
and nvidia cards, that's silly talk, but you may have a wonky cable,
some unusual configuration problem, or some setting you just haven't
stumbled upon yet.

CRTs provide superior image quality in a whole host of ways over LCD
panels, but both have readability issues with text at high resolution
and both have workarounds. For example, I recall there being several
different implementations of Cleartype, like there are different methods
of FSAA, maybe one of those other versions would work better?