Old September 7th 04, 06:44 PM
JK

Don't put too much money into the notebook, as you might want to get
an Athlon 64 notebook next year, especially after Windows 64 bit is out.
Well before the end of this year, expect to see a number of different
slim and light Athlon 64 notebooks built around AMD's low power
90 nm mobile Athlon 64 chips.

JK wrote:

A ram(to 512 meg) and/or hard drive(to a 7200 rpm one) upgrade(if your ram is
under 512 meg, and your notebook hard drive is 4400 or 4200 rpm) are
probably much more reasonable upgrades than a cpu upgrade in a notebook.

Spammay Blockay wrote:

I was just looking to buy an upgrade for my Thinkpad's processor,
and noticed that prices for Mobile Pentium 4-M chips are reasonable
until 2.5Ghz, where they jump by around $200 suddenly!

Does anyone know anything about the architecture of these chips
that would justify this massive jump in price over 100Mhz?

Also, what is the difference between "Mobile Pentium 4" and
"Mobile Pentium 4 - M" chips? Intel seems to designate them
differently.

- Tim