Old March 29th 18, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default troubleshootting question about keyboard

Flasherly wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 04:23:55 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

Is the problem hardware related? If so, the mobo or the keyboard?

I've thought about buying a PS/2 to USB adapter to use for the
keyboard, but I don't know if that would work. I'd like to keep
using the existing keyboard (the ergonomic design does make a
difference to me) if the problem is with the PS/2 connector on the
mobo. But if the pc recognizes the keyboard (when I'm in BIOS), it
doesn't seem like it's the mobo PS/2 connector.

FWIW, I've connected a wireless keyboard from my other pc till I get
this problem fixed.

PS/2 is too dated for today's USB connections. They may work,
depending, although not in the magnitude of keyboards with a USB
expectancy;- obviously, MS didn't account that contingency in your
case, so far as the OS update. The adaptor sounds like a good idea
for a fix, although you've already run into references that it may
not. Not something I'd buy, or at least expect priced considerately
unless directly from the Chinese market. Ebay item for a buck, and
some time for the international shipping. Or buy it locally for a $10
markup and a chance to see if it actually works.

I bought a "real keyboard" not long ago: Chinese make but genuine
mechanical switches with individual keys illuminated from a 7-row LED
color layout. Quite the beauty so far, attractive in an unlit room
and as well useful in natural lighting. It's all the latest and
difficult to procure from a solid deal, such as only Amazon offers.
There are jerk-around Chinese merchants on Ebay for this type of item:
You want this keyboard in the AT-style with 101 keys and not the
smaller 89-key layout that's cramped to type on.

Everything about a keyboard practically imaginable for $20, which is
the mechanical-keyswitch precept. I paid more, although a week or two
ago I saw Amazon selling mine for the $20 price on a special sale.
Such sales can roll-over or be depleted quickly, so you have to
monitor them regularly from the bargain-deal websites and act quickly.

I wouldn't touch a Microsoft keyboard, even with your barge-pole. Then
again I paid the $150 for my first mechanical keyboard. Neither would
a good many other people;- mechanicals are like that: it's about
precision in typing nothing less can quite match. Quite amazing,
actually, that for $20 that degree discernment is now available for a
mass commodity item.

I'm a pedestrian these days, so not very convenient to get to those
type places anymore. Until I started having this problem with the k/b,
I knew in the back of my mind that PS/2 was disappearing and USB taking
over but didn't know that it involved the circuits in the k/b. I had
assumed that it'd just be a simple task to buy the PS/2 USB adapter.
Wrong. The adapters I saw for sale on newegg are around $7 to $8
including shipping and handling. The price of a k/b at newegg starts
as low as $14. It'll be far easier and faster to just replace the k/b.

Unlike your experience with MS, I've had very good performance with the
k/b I had been using. The labeling on the back describes it as
"Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite". It's pretty dingy now from use, at
least 5 years worth if not longer. I bought it based on its price at
the time and because I felt physically OK typing with it. I didn't
need to install any special drivers with it. On the other hand, I use
its basic features and haven't customized it by re-assigning the keys
or using macro keystrokes on it. Very mundane, I know.

The temporary k/b I'm using at the moment is by Logitech. It's plain,
and its size and shape (rectangular, not ergonomic) throw me off. It
feels sturdy, but it's not a permanent solution because I 'borrowed' it
from the pc in my living room and have to physically move it between
the rooms when I use the other pc. If I were to use it permanently,
then I'd still have to buy a k/b.

John