Old December 15th 15, 10:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default "B2 Cloud Storage Opens Public Beta"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"B2 Cloud Storage Opens Public Beta"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/b2-cl...e-public-beta/

"In case you’re new to B2 Cloud Storage, it is a service that enables developers, IT people, and everyone else to store data in the
cloud. Often referred to as Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) or object storage, it provides the ability to store, retrieve and/or
share data and scale up and down, while only paying for what you use. B2 offers cloud storage similar to Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure
storage and Google Cloud Storage – but at a much lower cost."

You neglected to mention price. But then you neglected to add any
comment of your own.

Personal plan: $5/month
Business plan: $50/year (so it's cheaper than the Personal plan)
B2Cloud storage: $0.005/GB per month

The B2Cloud plan might be cheaper than the Personal plan provided you
store less than 1 TB of data on their server. Their plan(s) might be
cheaper but then they are still a infinitely more expensive than free
online storage: for me, 25 GB @ OneDrive, 15 GB @ Google Drive (*), and
50 GB @ aDrive.

* Be warned that deleting files using the Google Drive client merely
moves them to the Trash folder - which still counts against your quota.
Their client doesn't show the Trash folder so you have to use their web
client to empty the Trash folder to regain that disk quota.

All the free online storage providers have much smaller disk quotas
(except you can have multiple accounts) but then I do not use my OS
partition as a dumping site. Movies, documents, and other data files go
onto removable media. For just my data files that remain on my C:
drive, the free storage sites are sufficiently large to hold all of them
(in a compressed .zip backup file). I backup to the local folder and
the client syncs in the backup up to server. That's okay but restores
are slow (reduced downstream speed, throttling on the server).

Have you ever saved a backup via Internet? Slow. That's because your
upstream bandwidth is far smaller than your downstream bandwidth. Have
you ever restored a backup via Internet? You might have 50 Mbps (6.25
MBps) downstream bandwidth but the server will throttle the connection
(they have limited server resources, share that with lots of users, and
want existing connections to have some response). Restores from
Internet sources is excrutiatingly slow and why users will only store
data files, not an image of their OS partition.