Old September 6th 08, 05:06 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
Ken[_5_]

Default Any ideas why my new RAM won't work?

David wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone suggest to me why my new RAM sticks won't work?

I had 3 x 128mb PC133 SDRAM.
I bought 3 x 256mb PC133 SDRAM to replace them.

The PC won't even boot up with them. I've tried one of the new with
two of the old etc. - every combination I can think of, but in vain.
I've had to go back to the 128s to be able to type this, obviously.

Someone told me there is an mb limit on each slot, depending on the
make of motherboard. I presumed that must be the cause, however I've
just downloaded a helpful little program called "SIW" (systems info
Windows) and it says:-

max. memory capacity = 764
max. memory module size = 256

This now makes me think I should have been able to have 256 in each
slot (if I've interpreted "module" correctly), and 256 x 3 = 764, so
I'm confused!

Is there any thing else I needed to change anywhere? E.g. those BIOS
settings?

Grateful for any ideas!

Thanks!

You should download the complete manual on your MB if you have not
already done so. Some MBs will not accept what is called high density
RAM. That is determined most often by how many ICs are on each stick.
This could be your problem. Get all the info possible before coming to
any conclusions.