Old April 24th 15, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default nvidia GTX 970 4 GiB stuffup

"Paul" wrote in message ...

wrote:
So these cards have 3.5 GiB and 0.5 GiB of memory.
We went throught this about 10 years ago with Intel northbridge,
where a 32-bit Windows saw typically 3.25 GiB with 4 GiB installed.
If you had PAE linux, you got almost 4 GiB, but not continuous.
Didn't nvidia learn from history? Repeat!

"
That's not exactly true. The card in question has
one (or more) functional units turned off (for yield reasons),
preventing the memory interface unit for it from
working. There really is only 3.5GiB of memory.
"

This would be news to me ?!

I think you might be miss-understanding.

There is 4 GB of RAM on it.

However only one section can be used at a time for reading.

So either 3.5 GB or 500 MB.

It is claimed to be possible to read from 3.5 GB and write to 500 MB at the
same time or vice versa.

Bye,
Skybuck.