Old July 2nd 04, 05:20 AM
Noozer

"kony" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:28:24 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

Looking to build a small-mid sized storage server and I'm looking for a
couple suggestions...

Going to be using eight 250gig SATA drives in a RAID 5 (?) configuration

and
was wondering what I should consider for a controller. Are there any
mainboards that would support this configuration? Add on controller

cards?

We don't want to lose data on these drives (there will be a separate

drive
for the C:/ System files) as well as get the best performance possible.

The reason I'm considering onboard is that performance could be better if

we
can avoid using the PCI bus for the controller.

Thx!

I don't have any suggestions but just a few comments.

Unless you're using GbE network connections to the clients, the
bottleneck (on anything but a very busy fileserver) will be the
network, not the drives. Without GbE you don't need high
performance drives/configurations.

System will have GBit ethernet for sure.

Onboard controllers which use their own chip, not a southbridge
integral feature, ARE on the PCI bus. There is no gain to having
such an integral chip rather than it sitting on a PCI card. It
is exactly the same situation if it were placed in same PCI slot
such that it had same IRQ.

My Asus P4C800E has the Intel Raid controller (as well as a Promise
controller) and the Intel part doesn't utilize the PCI bus. I was hoping
another higher end board might have taken this farther.

What I'm looking at now is: http://www.raidcore.net/RC4000DataSheet_2.pdf

In this Lian Li chassis....
http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?a...wPD&prdid=1210

....assuming I can find suppliers for them.