Old May 14th 09, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default computer log when external switch is flipped?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 01:51:57 -0700, David Deley
wrote:

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually translates to I have a wire with a hi/low
voltage for the mailbox is open/closed -- how do I connect that wire to
the computer? What sort of input port is suitable for such a thing?

Better warn the post office ahead of time, you're likely to
have the bomb squad there if you surprise any postman with a
wired thingy in your mailbox. In fact they probably don't
want to deal with it at all if it's a homebrew setup instead
of a recognized, commercial product.