Old July 18th 20, 01:04 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Brian Gregory[_2_]

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

On 18/07/2020 07:09, nospam wrote:
In article , wrote:

We build little computers with parts. Then went to
CPU. All assembly code!

that doesn't make any sense.

Tiny CPUs often have tiny instruction sets that aren't well suited to
any high level language.

The first project I did on a PIC16C55 we did in assembler.
It was not really too difficult. The whole thing fitted on about 3 pages.

We did later get a "C compiler" for those chips but it was pushing it to
call the language "C". It was mostly the syntax of C but nothing but
static variables. Weird syntax to configure the chip the way you wanted.
I can't even remember how you did I/O on it; must have been another
weird extension to the syntax. It made it easier but not as much as you
might think.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).