Old July 3rd 07, 06:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

Default 11 x 17 monochrome laser printer $1000?

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:03:14 +0100, "
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

The Kyocera FS-6950DN is probably going to be a pretty good machine,
with both network and duplex ability, possibly a little over budget,
although I couldn't find it on Kyocera's US website.

Alternatively Ricoh AP-610N I think fits the bill at around $700

It should be possible to find a dealer in New York by searching Ricoh's
website - actually it gives you a big list, I'm sure one of them could
come up with something.

About two weeks ago, I got a catalog from CDW which listed the Ricoh
AP-610N for about the $700 you mention. So I went to the Ricoh
website and yes,there are two dealers in/near midtown Manhattan.

Well, I was in NYC last week. I printed out a bunch of the webpages
and gave them to my friend. Now she has to decide, but she doesn't
make decisions very quickly.

The Ricoh's monthly page volume is way,way above her needs, and it is
possible that she many never need another print cartridge. The
cartridge is rated at 20,000 prints!

Actually, I'm amazed that you can get so much printer for such a
price. About 20 years ago a QMS Postscript printer (using the same
print engine as the HP LJ II) cost me over $4000.