Old July 1st 07, 02:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Default proactively replace HP fuser?

(Richard Kovalcik) wrote:
So, I have a HP LaserJet 5000 which has 150k pages on it. The HP
recommendation is to do a major service - fuser and rollers at this
point. What is the convenitional wisdom on this? Should I do it?
Should I just do the rollers and wait for the fuser to die before
replacing it? Left to my own, I will probably do the rollers but not
the fuser as the rollers are cheap and aftermarket fuser probably
isn't going to last as long as the original.

Richard
The 150,000 page number is a guideline only.
There is no doubt that you will at some time have some problems with the
printer if you don't install a kit but if it was my printer I would not do
anything until I started to get issues.
The problems that will occur are as follows -
1. Misfeeding or multifeeding from the tray(s) - fix by replacing the rollers.
If you rarely use tray 1 then don't change the roller and separation pad in
that tray. The casette trays use a separation roller instead of a pad.
2. Marks on the output caused by the fuser wearing, in extreme cases the fuser
rollers will start to come apart and cause paper jams but will not damage
anything else in the printer.
3. Poor print quality caused by the transfer roller wearing.
The kit includes everything you need to fix the above issues which usually
start to occur gradually over time. I would be inclined to buy the rollers and
fit them and buy the fuser and transfer roller when you get symptoms.

If you are getting the "Perform Printer Maintenance" message and it irritates
you, you can reset the maintenance count.
Power off the printer.
Press and hold the Item(-) and value(-) keys and power the printer on, wait for
the RESET MAINTENANCE COUNT message to appear and release the keys.
You won't get the message again for another 150,000 pages.
Aftermarket fusers should give you 150,000 pages, just buy from a reputable
company.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging