Old August 10th 03, 04:28 PM
Krow

Many thanks to everyone for their posts!

I took alook at the model/make of the power supply and its a KME 230W
ATX branded capacity. This was installed 4 years ago or so, (I live in
the UK btw) and I really don't know how good it is. The guy did
mention that it had burnt the capacitors or something like that, and
I'm pretty sure its the power supply that has gone. Besides, I'm a bit
worried about opening up the power supply as I don't have the right
equipment and skills to do it. But I still don't understand why the
burn-out happened when the only thing I did was turn off the
wall-socket switch and then turning it back on again after I finished
hoovering from another wall-socket.

He said that the power supply burn-out had caused the motherboard to
go as well (mentioned transistors/capacitors/technical stuff) This
wasn't the same shop that quoted 100-200 GBP for a power supply. This
shop said the p-s was around 20-30 pounds (I think the make was
'Q-Tec')

He seemed pretty decent, and didn't push a sale of another system, so
I'm assuming that he must have done an ok job testing everything... oh
yes, with ref to 'CMOS via jumper' - where would I find a manual or
book or site that would show me what to do?

Many thanks again
KP