Old February 21st 04, 11:59 PM
KILOWATT

OK...thanks a lot for the replies. It been 3 days since the new test CDs
have been made (the one in DirectCD format and the one in Joliet mode2
format),and that i'm running on the october's image of the C: drive. Both
disks are still perfectly readable. This leads me to think that it's more a
sofware problem than a problem with my CD-RW drive...but it's too soon to
make conclusions. I'll wait...let's say a week, and if everything is still
fine, i'll revert back to the C: drive's image i've made 3 days ago. If the
problems are coming back withing the same 36~48hours period i've montioned
in my 1st post, this will confirm that it's not a drive problem. Ned, i also
think that even if i would use a new high speed drive with my old media,
setting the recording speed to 4x would produce results that are as reliable
as if i burn at 4x with my actual 8x-4x-32x Sony drive. Speaking of
recording speed, i still don't know if DirectCD will use the highest rewrite
speed that the recorder is able to perform, or if DirectCD would use the
highest speed that the media can support...still a mystery, and i don't want
to buy yet another drive just to check that point, unless i know for shure
that my actual drive is defective. Keep posting... i'll keep in touch. Bye.

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

rated. So if i have to buy a new CD-RW drive, most of them are now of the
52x-32x-52x speed. So my question is, will the new burner will try to write
at it's maximum rewrite speed (let's say...32x) on the 4x max. rated CD-RWs
i have? Is DirectCD is smart enough to detect the 4x maximum rewrite speed
that my CD-RWs are rated for and adjust the burner's speed in consequence?